Betray

The Priest assures us that the new words are meant to make the Mass more beautiful.  He tells us that the words are inspired by God.  The Priest tells us that we’re not moving back; we’re moving forward.  The priest tells us we should feel happy about these changes.
But the Priest does not know that I feel like a puppet mouthing these words unknown people are telling me to say.  I do not know for certain how long I can continue to act in their performance.  I cannot force my mouth to profess things my mind does not believe.
Do I betray the church by refusing to open my mouth?  Or do I betray myself by opening it and letting the words escape?
This post was written in response to a prompt from Trifecta, in which I was to write a post from 33 to 333 words incorporating the third definition of betray, as found on the Trifecta website.

This post has been linked to Love Links..

Labels: ,

Writing in the Margins, Bursting at the Seams: Betray

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Betray

The Priest assures us that the new words are meant to make the Mass more beautiful.  He tells us that the words are inspired by God.  The Priest tells us that we’re not moving back; we’re moving forward.  The priest tells us we should feel happy about these changes.
But the Priest does not know that I feel like a puppet mouthing these words unknown people are telling me to say.  I do not know for certain how long I can continue to act in their performance.  I cannot force my mouth to profess things my mind does not believe.
Do I betray the church by refusing to open my mouth?  Or do I betray myself by opening it and letting the words escape?
This post was written in response to a prompt from Trifecta, in which I was to write a post from 33 to 333 words incorporating the third definition of betray, as found on the Trifecta website.

This post has been linked to Love Links..

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

At November 22, 2011 at 2:29 PM , Anonymous TLanceB said...

without a major relgious discussion, I'll just comment by saying, this is relatable and gut wrenching.

Faith is truth. well done.

 
At November 22, 2011 at 6:34 PM , Anonymous Katie687 said...

I am glad that someone else feels the same as I do regarding these changes.

 
At November 22, 2011 at 6:36 PM , Anonymous kgwaite said...

Frustrating, isn't it? Every time I see those words, I get angry.

 
At November 22, 2011 at 6:37 PM , Anonymous kgwaite said...

Thanks, Lance - And thanks again for the link!

 
At November 23, 2011 at 9:22 AM , Anonymous jaum said...

Taking religion out of the equation, this stikes me as "The examined life" and I think it's profound... (and I liked)

 
At November 24, 2011 at 11:33 AM , Anonymous Elizabeth Young said...

A very pertinent write.... there is a world held within this small piece. I don't wish to detract from it by adding, detracting or taking apart. You've done an awesome job!

 
At November 25, 2011 at 5:56 AM , Anonymous Tara R. said...

I too have 'issues' with some of the ceremony involved in my faith. You captured that struggle very well in this piece.

 
At November 27, 2011 at 1:03 PM , Anonymous Amelia said...

Wow. I really liked this, and I have no idea what words you're talking about. Very powerful.

 
At November 27, 2011 at 3:19 PM , Anonymous Trifecta said...

Thank you so much for participating in Trifecta's Writing Challenge! I really liked this response. Your post is very well-crafted and, as Amelia said, powerful. I hope you'll come back for Week Three.

 
At November 28, 2011 at 4:58 PM , Anonymous Bella said...

Kelly, your frustration is palpable in this post. Beautifully delivered!

 
At November 29, 2011 at 6:46 PM , Anonymous Ado said...

It's surprising how profound a punch so few words can pack. Sometimes as a writer I think "well, I need to WRITE about it..." - more words - but this was an excellent example of "less is more." Loved it.

 
At November 29, 2011 at 7:51 PM , Anonymous Karen Tsang said...

This is the truth so many of us have faced as we decide to stay or leave a church or religion. Assuming this may be about the Catholic Church, I left before wording changes, but for reasons I think were similar. I could no longer pay lip service to an organisation I believed didn't truly walk the walk. The decision was wrenching and for a long time I wondered if I'd made the right choice. I've recently made my peace with it.

Great use of the word prompt.

 
At November 30, 2011 at 7:27 PM , Anonymous Jamie said...

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about! We just had our first Mass with the changes - and honestly, I was grumpy about it for so many different reasons.

Visiting from lovelinks

 
At December 1, 2011 at 7:53 AM , Anonymous Laura@Catharsis said...

Tough topic here. Having lived in different places and needing to find a spiritual home, I have often struggled with similar issues. It feels like a betrayal of sorts when what you're expecting or what you want to do contrasts with what's expected of you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home