Crash

Note to self:

Laptops do not wish to have their powercords rudely yanked by two unruly dogs.  Laptops do not particularly enjoy crashing to the floor.  Most of all, the health benefits of a steaming mug of green tea do not apply to laptops, particularly after said crash.

(It does not revive them).

And while you're noting, also note this:

It is not a good idea to suddenly begin backing up said laptop after wiping the mug of streaming green tea from the keyboard.  That sizzling sound you hear is the sound of the green tea meeting the motherboard and all its thousands of electronic parts.

Now would be a good time to extract the hard drive.

In the morning, I will run to the store for an adaptor cord and salvage what I can. 

But in the meantime, the sun is shining and the wind carries a cool breeze.  The sky is full of September clouds.  Autumn leaves wait to crunch beneath my feet.  Unruly dogs clamor for a walk.

And, in a couple of days, when I'm back and running with the old clunker I gave to my daughter because it doesn't have wireless, perhaps I will laugh about this.

 Words lost are merely words lost.

But what I have gained is time: time away from the Internet.  Time away from email and Facebook and Twitter and Pinterest.  Time to do what I was supposed to have been doing all along: Setting down words.

And backing them up.







Labels:

Writing in the Margins, Bursting at the Seams: Crash

Monday, September 24, 2012

Crash

Note to self:

Laptops do not wish to have their powercords rudely yanked by two unruly dogs.  Laptops do not particularly enjoy crashing to the floor.  Most of all, the health benefits of a steaming mug of green tea do not apply to laptops, particularly after said crash.

(It does not revive them).

And while you're noting, also note this:

It is not a good idea to suddenly begin backing up said laptop after wiping the mug of streaming green tea from the keyboard.  That sizzling sound you hear is the sound of the green tea meeting the motherboard and all its thousands of electronic parts.

Now would be a good time to extract the hard drive.

In the morning, I will run to the store for an adaptor cord and salvage what I can. 

But in the meantime, the sun is shining and the wind carries a cool breeze.  The sky is full of September clouds.  Autumn leaves wait to crunch beneath my feet.  Unruly dogs clamor for a walk.

And, in a couple of days, when I'm back and running with the old clunker I gave to my daughter because it doesn't have wireless, perhaps I will laugh about this.

 Words lost are merely words lost.

But what I have gained is time: time away from the Internet.  Time away from email and Facebook and Twitter and Pinterest.  Time to do what I was supposed to have been doing all along: Setting down words.

And backing them up.







Labels:

14 Comments:

At September 24, 2012 at 9:06 AM , Anonymous Carrie said...

oh, not a fun thing. Good luck getting those words back. I hope the computer Gods smile down on you

 
At September 24, 2012 at 9:59 AM , Anonymous jaum said...

Ouch! Have you tried to recover the hard drive yet? Any Luck? I hate computer problems, Every morning when I turn it on, IF IT TURNS ON... It's a good day. (and vice versa) Good read so long as it remains a vicarious experience. Add in note to self, "coffee has similar results as green tea".

 
At September 24, 2012 at 10:10 AM , Anonymous Jessie Powell said...

Oh nONONO! I'm so very sorry. You can pick up a fairly cheap wi-fi USB plugin for the clunker while you're at it.

 
At September 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM , Anonymous Kgwaite said...

Jessie-
I hate those plugins because we've already snapped off the heads of two. (Clunker's only USB port is in the back). My family must be hard on computers!

 
At September 24, 2012 at 10:24 AM , Anonymous Kgwaite said...

Looks like a pretty easy fix, but I haven't tried it yet. I'll keep you posted. But for now, being a Luddite seems to work well.

 
At September 24, 2012 at 10:24 AM , Anonymous Kgwaite said...

Thanks, Carrie. I think I can get everything back.

 
At September 24, 2012 at 1:34 PM , Anonymous Carsonbuckingham said...

I like this very much! Beautifully crafted for such a short piece.

Carson Buckingham

 
At September 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM , Anonymous Thejadedlens said...

oh gawd, oh gawd, oh gawd! So so sorry. But your attitude is stellar...and I'll bet there is some kind of silver lining in all of this...perhaps?

 
At September 25, 2012 at 8:20 AM , Anonymous Carrie@ Tempo Life Coaching said...

Oh no!!! And here lies another reminder to back up my computer! Beyond that, loved how you wrote this. Beautifully done!

 
At September 25, 2012 at 8:46 AM , Anonymous IASoupMama said...

Oh, man... what a nightmare! And a dream...

 
At September 25, 2012 at 3:34 PM , Anonymous Stephanie B. said...

I love your attitude. Time away from the all encompassing social media to set down words, I like that. Nice post.

 
At September 25, 2012 at 4:43 PM , Anonymous Stacie @ Snaps and Bits said...

How frustrating! But kind of a gift on such a gorgeous day. Hope you enjoyed it!

 
At September 26, 2012 at 9:40 AM , Anonymous christina said...

great attitude!!

 
At September 27, 2012 at 11:52 AM , Anonymous Kenja Purkey said...

Awesome reaction. Mine would have involved several broken living room furnishings.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home