Irreverence


“I am Death,” Death declared, taking a seat across from Lillian Jacobs.

Lillian shoved a cracker in her mouth. “Hold on.” She put up an index finger and leaned in towards the glowing light of her monitor. “Let me finish this paragraph.”

Death sighed and let his scythe clatter to the floor.

“You weren't supposed to get home until Tuesday.”

He drummed his bony fingertips on the table.

Lillian slammed her laptop shut. “God, Ryan, I can never get anything done around here.” Finally she looked up at the creature before her, brittle bones more grey than white. “Who the hell are you?”

“I am Death.”

She frowned. “You could have gotten a little spiffed up for the occasion.”

“Most people don't really notice my nakedness.” He pointed to the candles. “Nice touch.”

She smiled. “I think so.”

“Pour me a cup?” Death eyed the teapot.

“No. That's special.”

“Not as if you'll be needing it no more.” He retrieved a mug from the cabinet.

“What's with the grammar?”

“I'd forgotten you were an editor.”

She watched the tea go down his neck and spill onto the floor.

“I speak all languages; all dialects. Everywhere I go, I am understood.”

“You've come to the wrong house. I'm young. Perfectly healthy.”

Death smiled and dribbled some more tea; chased it with some crackers that fell from his ribcage.

“I can get you someone else. Two people. Would that do?”

“I'm afraid not.” He shook his head. “Lovely tea.” He mimed checking a wristwatch. “We really must be going now. Did you save your document?”

“Does it really matter?”

“I see you finally understand.” Death blew out the candles and the room went dark.

“What got you?” Lillian asked.

“Nothing. Unlike you, I will live forever,” Death said. “Got any more of those crackers before we go?”

“I'm all out.”

Death grinned. “Indeed you are.”


This post was written for this week's Trifecta Challenge.  The word was death.

Labels:

Writing in the Margins, Bursting at the Seams: Irreverence

Monday, October 8, 2012

Irreverence


“I am Death,” Death declared, taking a seat across from Lillian Jacobs.

Lillian shoved a cracker in her mouth. “Hold on.” She put up an index finger and leaned in towards the glowing light of her monitor. “Let me finish this paragraph.”

Death sighed and let his scythe clatter to the floor.

“You weren't supposed to get home until Tuesday.”

He drummed his bony fingertips on the table.

Lillian slammed her laptop shut. “God, Ryan, I can never get anything done around here.” Finally she looked up at the creature before her, brittle bones more grey than white. “Who the hell are you?”

“I am Death.”

She frowned. “You could have gotten a little spiffed up for the occasion.”

“Most people don't really notice my nakedness.” He pointed to the candles. “Nice touch.”

She smiled. “I think so.”

“Pour me a cup?” Death eyed the teapot.

“No. That's special.”

“Not as if you'll be needing it no more.” He retrieved a mug from the cabinet.

“What's with the grammar?”

“I'd forgotten you were an editor.”

She watched the tea go down his neck and spill onto the floor.

“I speak all languages; all dialects. Everywhere I go, I am understood.”

“You've come to the wrong house. I'm young. Perfectly healthy.”

Death smiled and dribbled some more tea; chased it with some crackers that fell from his ribcage.

“I can get you someone else. Two people. Would that do?”

“I'm afraid not.” He shook his head. “Lovely tea.” He mimed checking a wristwatch. “We really must be going now. Did you save your document?”

“Does it really matter?”

“I see you finally understand.” Death blew out the candles and the room went dark.

“What got you?” Lillian asked.

“Nothing. Unlike you, I will live forever,” Death said. “Got any more of those crackers before we go?”

“I'm all out.”

Death grinned. “Indeed you are.”


This post was written for this week's Trifecta Challenge.  The word was death.

Labels:

24 Comments:

At October 8, 2012 at 3:33 PM , Anonymous Stephanie B. said...

I love it, Kelly. Funny. I love the tea and the crackers spilling to the floor. With the dark subject matter its great to read a light touch. The scythe clattering to the floor is good, too. Well done.

 
At October 8, 2012 at 3:43 PM , Anonymous Jessie Powell said...

Oh that was deliciously grim. The absolute humor of death waiting and really the thing holding him back was the tea and crackers.

 
At October 8, 2012 at 4:01 PM , Anonymous Carrie said...

Who knew Death had a thing for crackers? I'll be stocking up ;)

 
At October 8, 2012 at 4:25 PM , Blogger Draug said...

lol This was cute. Love the crumbly ribs xD

 
At October 8, 2012 at 4:30 PM , Anonymous Victoria KP said...

LOVE how she was too busy to notice it was the grim reaper! Writers!

 
At October 8, 2012 at 5:21 PM , Anonymous Annabelle said...

I really enjoyed the back-and-forth here; Lillian seems like she's actually a match fo the Grim Reaper! Would happily read more of the two of them.

 
At October 9, 2012 at 1:24 AM , Anonymous Fiona Phillips said...

Loved this. Succinct and rich. Thank you for sharing.

 
At October 9, 2012 at 5:58 AM , Anonymous jaum said...

This one is a real grabber!
loved the interplay between he two of them. Very subtle humor that works so well.

 
At October 9, 2012 at 9:28 AM , Anonymous jaum said...

Just read this to someone else, reaction same as mine, favorite line...Death sighed and let his scythe clatter to the floor.

 
At October 9, 2012 at 10:29 AM , Anonymous TLanceB said...

My novel, currently in editing hell, is killing me. So Death as an editor? perfect.

I love the humor and sly metaphors. well done, very well done.

 
At October 9, 2012 at 11:24 AM , Anonymous Tara R. said...

I'm with Lance, Death coming for an editor is deliciously poetic. I really like the banter between the characters.

 
At October 9, 2012 at 1:23 PM , Anonymous deanaburson said...

What a great idea for a post. I agree with Tara. The banter is perfect.

 
At October 9, 2012 at 3:27 PM , Anonymous my heart's love songs said...

this is devilishly good! trying to barter with Death! love it!

 
At October 9, 2012 at 4:33 PM , Anonymous Tmacinnes said...

Great balance between the two characters, as far as strength goes. Lovely imagery such as the tea dribbling, etc. All in all, a very good piece of writing by a very good writer. Thanks for creating such good work.

 
At October 9, 2012 at 4:53 PM , Anonymous Frelle said...

that was awesome and not at all what i expected! :)

 
At October 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM , Anonymous Brian said...

I loved the "death as an editor" line - it took their banter to the other end of the spectrum so quickly. Light, but still with the right amount of weight.

 
At October 9, 2012 at 9:07 PM , Anonymous Christine said...

I love how it feels like Death is struggling to stick to the formalities: "I am Death." "I speak all languages; all dialects. Everywhere I go, I am understood." Lines like that interspersed with "I'd forgotten you were [were!] an editor" and "Got any more of those crackers..." - great dialog.

 
At October 10, 2012 at 4:47 AM , Blogger lumdog2012 said...

I love the humor in this story. A grim tale to be sure, but you made both characters interesting and like able. Great job!

 
At October 10, 2012 at 4:58 AM , Anonymous kgwaite said...

lumdog2012 has left a new comment on your post "Irreverence":

I love the humor in this story. A grim tale to be sure, but you made both characters interesting and like able. Great job!

 
At October 10, 2012 at 6:45 PM , Anonymous Thunderwoman1 said...

"Indeed you are." Terrific lightness. Loved it!
dk

 
At October 11, 2012 at 5:37 AM , Anonymous Lisa Harvey said...

Oh man, I'm only a few entries in and I'm already loving this prompt. This is great. You had me at the ribcage. Great job with the prompt. Humor PLUS crackers falling out of rib cages? Lovely.

This says it's posting as Lisa Harvey. Sigh. I'm Lisa from Trifecta, in the event that doesn't show up.

 
At October 11, 2012 at 8:51 AM , Anonymous Jen Gienke said...

A delightful, professional and polite Death, I like it. I really like it.

 
At October 11, 2012 at 10:54 AM , Anonymous Lexy3587 said...

what a funny death... I like that, once she's figured out what's going on, the lady has a sense of humor about it too.

 
At October 11, 2012 at 7:29 PM , Anonymous Flippa Bird said...

I love the crackers falling out of his ribcage.... And he's so poised too lol. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home