Wishes


I wished him into being.

Three times, I wished a man to complete me.

“You asked for it,” he says, as bruises bloom across my cheek.

For a moment, I believe him.


This was written for this weekend's Trifecta Writing Challenge.  

On to the weekend challenge.  The Monkey's Paw, a short story by W.W. Jacobs, is about the strings that come with granted wishes.  We are asking you to write 33 words exactly about three wishes that come at a high price to the wisher.

Labels: ,

Writing in the Margins, Bursting at the Seams: Wishes

Friday, October 19, 2012

Wishes


I wished him into being.

Three times, I wished a man to complete me.

“You asked for it,” he says, as bruises bloom across my cheek.

For a moment, I believe him.


This was written for this weekend's Trifecta Writing Challenge.  

On to the weekend challenge.  The Monkey's Paw, a short story by W.W. Jacobs, is about the strings that come with granted wishes.  We are asking you to write 33 words exactly about three wishes that come at a high price to the wisher.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

At October 19, 2012 at 11:02 AM , Anonymous Christine said...

Dark... I wonder - was it one man as the result of three wishes, or three different men who all treated her like this? The latter is even more chilling, I think.

 
At October 19, 2012 at 11:08 AM , Anonymous Zoe Childs said...

Wow, that is good. I have witness too many women who wish and take whatever they can get. It's sad. Great job.

 
At October 19, 2012 at 2:01 PM , Anonymous JannaTWrites said...

I wondered if it was one man or three, too. I think it's one. One very awful one.

 
At October 19, 2012 at 10:36 PM , Anonymous Steve Lavigne said...

ye ouch! good write. like the ending

 
At October 20, 2012 at 1:17 AM , Anonymous FKC said...

Rough. Good writing. Just rough subject.

 
At October 20, 2012 at 4:41 AM , Blogger lumdog2012 said...

The "...I believe him." is the saddest part. I think this is why some women never get out of the trap. This is very real.

 
At October 20, 2012 at 6:41 AM , Anonymous Kgwaite said...

lumdog2012 has left a new comment on your post "Wishes":

The "...I believe him." is the saddest part. I think this is why some women never get out of the trap. This is very real.

 
At October 20, 2012 at 1:13 PM , Anonymous deanaburson said...

great writing. I believe that no man can complete you. You should be complete yourself before any relationship could work.

 
At October 20, 2012 at 1:35 PM , Anonymous jaum said...

Dark! But so interesting, Like the comments and observations of other.

 
At October 20, 2012 at 6:54 PM , Anonymous karen said...

Tsk. So hard to watch any man or woman believe they deserve less than straightforward love and nurturing.

Smart take. I got it to mean the character made the requisite three wishes. Wishes of these types are especially dangerous, eh? Great write.

 
At October 21, 2012 at 2:47 PM , Anonymous RogRites said...

Ouch. Are we our own worst enemy...

 
At October 22, 2012 at 7:31 AM , Blogger Steph said...

I missed this over the weekend. Oh yes well deserved winner. Great writing, Evocative and unfortunately real.

 
At October 22, 2012 at 7:33 AM , Blogger Steph said...

I missed this over the weekend. Oh yes well deserved winner. Great writing. Evocative and unfortunately real.

 
At October 22, 2012 at 8:49 AM , Anonymous Eric Misener said...

This piece has such a ring of truth to it. Having dealt with vicitms of domestic abuse in my professional life, it is all too common for the pattern to be repeated three or more times. There is a danger to the societal pressure to buy into the romantic ideal of needing someone "to complete" you. Congratulations on your finish in the challenge; it is well-deserved.

 
At October 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM , Anonymous Jessie Powell said...

I was out of town this weekend, and I totally missed this. Ouch.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home