Meditations on a Plane


Then I see our plane nose daringly into gray mist,
      And there is nothing,
      Nothing ahead or behind,
      Nothing above nor below,
      Nothing to see nor to do,
But to sit still, trusting...

From "Meditations on a Plane," by my great-grandmother, Lettie M. Reid, b. 1885.

For this week's Trifecta Writing Challenge, we were to post thirty-three of the best words we could find. I chose to post my great-grandmother's words. Having nine children and a farm and house to tend with her husband, Lettie Reid still managed to find time to write. I have no excuses for not writing.





Labels:

Writing in the Margins, Bursting at the Seams: Meditations on a Plane

Friday, February 8, 2013

Meditations on a Plane


Then I see our plane nose daringly into gray mist,
      And there is nothing,
      Nothing ahead or behind,
      Nothing above nor below,
      Nothing to see nor to do,
But to sit still, trusting...

From "Meditations on a Plane," by my great-grandmother, Lettie M. Reid, b. 1885.

For this week's Trifecta Writing Challenge, we were to post thirty-three of the best words we could find. I chose to post my great-grandmother's words. Having nine children and a farm and house to tend with her husband, Lettie Reid still managed to find time to write. I have no excuses for not writing.





Labels:

16 Comments:

At February 8, 2013 at 5:25 PM , Blogger katie eggeman said...

How wonderful to have the words of your Great grandmother. When you see when she was born you can imagine a trip in an airplane would be an adventure for her.

 
At February 8, 2013 at 5:58 PM , Blogger Ann Bennett said...

So impressed with your great-grandmother. What a treasure must be in her writing. So much herstory.

 
At February 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM , Blogger Thomas Charles MacInnes said...

This quote is filled with a sense of wonder that is wonderful to bear witness to. I am really happy with this particular choice. Well done.

 
At February 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is soooo special, my Trifextra friend. Thank you so much for sharing your great-grandmother with us. :)

 
At February 8, 2013 at 9:38 PM , Anonymous Monica Devine said...

Kelly, just bought your book on Kindle!

 
At February 9, 2013 at 3:13 AM , Blogger Tracie Nall said...

I love that you have words from your great-grandmother. That is a beautiful thing. (and a great quote!)

 
At February 9, 2013 at 6:47 AM , Blogger Draug said...

I feel like I should hold my breath reading this quote. Awesome choice (:

 
At February 9, 2013 at 9:06 AM , Anonymous H.L. Pauff said...

Love the words and love the source!

 
At February 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVED IT.

 
At February 9, 2013 at 10:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh this is beautiful. And very fitting to your blog picture's background!

 
At February 9, 2013 at 5:22 PM , Blogger Sandra Tyler said...

You don't have to to do this, as it is work, but I had to pass on this award to you as I love your blog dearly!
http://www.awriterweavesatale.com/2013/02/10/inspiring-blogger-award-im-inspiring/

 
At February 10, 2013 at 1:25 AM , Blogger Trifecta said...

Fantastic. She sounds like an amazing woman.

 
At February 10, 2013 at 3:18 PM , Blogger Mae Kiernan said...

Wish I could have met her

 
At February 10, 2013 at 7:47 PM , Blogger PurpleMoose said...

precious to have her words :)

 
At February 11, 2013 at 1:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing ahead or behind
Nothing above nor below..
Haunting!

 
At February 11, 2013 at 2:55 AM , Blogger Atreyee said...

How inspiring,love it:-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home